Goodbye to Singleness ?

The Spanish version of a bachelor/bachelorette party is called a Good-bye Party or "Despedida." The idea is saying good-bye to
one's singleness, at least the singleness in this chapter of life, and celebrating the new chapter that is to come. This past week Ruben and I both celebrated our "despedidias," each at his own despedida, of course! I actually had 1 Spanish despedida and 1 pretty American-style bridal shower.

Although I feel like I'm a little stuck between my life in the U.S.: those long-lasting friendships at home, many of whom I haven't seen in a long time! and my relatively new life here in Barcelona: newly-found friendships, several of whom I'm still trying to remember names and get their phone numbers, I'm still learning and practicing the disciplines of waiting and giving thanks!

I'm so grateful for the kindness and thoughtfulness of the friends that I've found here. I'm also super excited about those that will be coming next week! And certainly thinking of those that will participate in spirit!

Even though it's a good-bye to singleness, it's a hello to married life and it's also an invitation to deepen these new friendships with the women who've helped to make me feel so special this week! Below (when Blogger's photo upload option is up and running again) there will be a few photos from these 2 parties of mine. If you are coming to the wedding, you'll get to meet many of them face-to-face.

Comments

Popular Posts