Context is Everything but Listening Critically Helps

(Yesterday I wrote out some thoughts regarding this issue without really thinking about the impact of my comments. So, I´ve edited this blog entry, asking for pardon where I might have offended before. I´m grateful for input from friends and acquaintances that can give perspective, especially if I cross a line. :-) )

One of the challenges of living overseas is keeping in step with traditional events and the unique twists that come with them year after year, not to mention enjoying American holidays like Thanksgiving, the 4th of July and Labor Day. One of these events is the annual back-to-school wave. Although many U.S. schools have already started, by today, the day after Labor Day, the rest will have cranked up.











Today at 12pm EST President Obama will address students in many schools via a live internet stream (or later by a recorded version on DVD) on this first day of school to exhort them on the importance of working hard and staying in school. What I didn´t realize is that it has become a very controversial issue among some more conservative American parents, to the point that some are keeping their kids home from school today. (For the complete MSNBC article go to Sept 7, 2009 Obama´s Speech to Students Tomorrow and a Bit of Controversy


I have been living outside the U.S. for 9 years now with at least one annual visit to try to stay connected. I know I´m out of the loop on some things in my native country, especially the mixed feelings about Obama and his policies, but I have been really surprised by the intense reaction that some of these parents have had regarding this speech and its intentions.

While I am not supporting nor condemning the political views of Obama here in this blog, I do get excited about the idea of listening to what he has to say and then sharing a friendly debate afterward about the content of the speech and its implications. It seems like a good educational exercise, one that all students could benefit from, whether they and/or their parents agree with the things President Obama shares. (For a sneak peak check out the prepared speech and proposed in-class activities for elementary students and for middle-school and high school students.

If the speech will truly be about encouraging students to stay in school and work hard and steers away from political agendas and policies, it seems positive that the President would take some time to focus not only on the topic of education, but would speak directly to the students about it. Of course, I´m not so naive to think that a politician only has one motive when he does anything.

I must add that my opinion here is heavily influenced by my own upbringing and the context in which I now live. Growing up in our house, we were encouraged to debate and consider critically the messages that came our way and not just believe them blindly because of the charismatic nature of the speaker or because of his/her powerful title or for his affiliation with a particular church or political party. Based on my life experience, I think listening can be a healthy thing...as long as it was accompanied by thinking and evaluating and filtering, using my personal values as a healthy grid.

It was actually another´s perspective that caught my attention and piqued my interest on this topic to start with. It came from John Piper, a Minneapolis pastor from Greenville, South Carolina. This week in his blog he seems open to at least listen to the speech. "I Hope My Daughter Hears the President´s Speech." (For the entire entry go to I Hope My Daughter Hears the President´ Speech )

I think my positive response to President Obama´s intiative is also influenced by the culture in which I currently live. Just 5 days ago, I heard a report on Spanish television that talked about the high percentage (14%) of inactive young people in Spain (between 16-24 years old) who neither study nor work. The report also mentioned the 30% high school drop out rate, almost double the average for the European Union. Maybe the president´s speech could have some influence here in Spain in addition to the U.S. (For more details on this report, go to  sept 3, 2009 14% of young people in Spain neither study nor work )

I can empathize with the concern of some American parents that a president (who, for some, was not their choice) would speak directly to their children during school hours in a nationally televised address on major networks where parents may not be able to participate . It could be a strange feeling of being bypassed which can create an element of uncertainty, if not fear, in being able to protect one´s child from subtle even subliminal messages that might be sent.

However, in the context where I live, I´ve seen national leaders invest their time in other activities, much more controversial than challenging their nation´s students to work hard and stay in school.

Consider the folllowing issues from this spring and summer alone:

Spanish President Jose Luís Rodriguez Zapatero and his party have been pushing for a new law that gives acces to legal abortion to all females 16-years-old and up without parental consent. See July 12, 2009 Proposal in Spain: No Parental Consent for Abortion Necessary for 16-year-olds

Several MPs from both conservative and political parties of the British House of Commons were caught in a financial scandal when they were discovered to be abusing a law that allows them to charge their own constituents for improvements made to their personal homes. See May 26, 2009 Britains´ House of Commons´ Financial Scandal

Most recently, there are rumors of a second attempt at image-building for French President Nicolas Sarkozy to boost his stature during a visit to an automotive parts plant by surrounding himself only by workers that were 5 feet 5 inches or less. See Sept 7, 2009 Sarzoky´s Short Crowd . Although a president´s image can be important in the eyes of his people, this latest stunt seems like a frivolous waste of his staff´s time in light of all the other issues that a president needs to focus on.

But for me, the most surprising and yet not surprising issue this spring has been the cloud of stories surrounding Italy´s Premier Silvio Berlusconi and his affinity for beautiful young women. There are numerous issues but the following is one article on how Berlusconi has been investing in the youth of Italy. April 29, 2009 Berlusconi´s Wandering Eye

So, all of this is to say that, although I am less than informed on the details and controversy surrounding President Obama´s first year in office, I am open to hearing what he has to say to students so that I can evaluate, and then share my informed opinion, of course! :-)

Unless I´ve gone into labor, I´m planning to watch the live speech from Spain. You can watch it with me with the live stream link below. Once he´s finished, I´d love to hear what you think about his speech.

Comments

  1. Hengame8.9.09

    Hi Jill! 6 more days, huh? :D
    I will be praying for you.

    Regarding what you wrote about president Obama´s speech and education: I remember youth around me back in Spain and now in the US, I doubt that a speech can change someone radically unless it is a very veeeery moving speech.

    There are lots of problems in the US now, specially economical ones.. finding a good decent job is not easy even for an engineering student like me. So, this is only one factor that contributes to the lack of motivation..
    Politicians are the best of talkers, some will be impressed and some won´t.. I am more interested in action and seeing results rather than impressive series of words (speech).

    Have a Blessed day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jill, thank you thank you and thank you for a great article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After having read the speech beforehand, watching it on video was a bit anti-climatic. It would be interesting to know how much the speech changed, if at all, once parents started to complain, but we´ll never know.

    I did find an interesting perspective from MyWayNews.com, a link I got from the Drudge Report. This retired AP reporter helps to verbalize my sentiments.

    Back-to-school fuss

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was glad that President Obama's speech was going to released on Monday. I definitely wanted to read what he was going to say so I could talk about it with the girls when they got home. I totally agree with the way your parents handled things - discussing things and not just blindly accepting. I want my girls to know that the Bible is our basis for truth. Sometimes I don't know what they are being taught. I just pray that they will bring up the important things - or I will hear about it another way. God is faithful!

    You are getting really close! I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts